The girls drew pictures of the people who make them feel good about themselves and discussed the importance of respect, kindness, honesty and trust. We used Pip Wilson and Ian Long's BLOB cards to look at unhealthy relationships and how they make us feel.
If you would like to talk to your daughters about developing healthy relationships, the NSPCC offers these tips for primary school children:
- Empower children to have individuality and help them understand that everyone is unique.
- Praise children for demonstrating honesty, kindness, and respect for others.
- Give children opportunities to voice their opinions and encourage them to listen to other people’s views.
- Help children understand that “no” means “no” and make sure they know who to talk to if they are ever uncomfortable with something they have been asked them to do.
- Work with children to resolve conflicts and help them understand how others might be affected.
- Talk to children about bullying in all its forms and make sure they know how to get help if they need it.